Friday, April 29, 2011

Marathon? Not so much...

I have a friend who has been trying to convince me to run in the Missoula Marathon this summer and while I applaud her efforts and all of the determined people who will run in a marathon, I am (at this moment in my life) completely uninterested in doing one myself. In fact, when I lay my head on my pillow at night I often feel like I have run a marathon -- my own four kid version. Right now I am excited to do my own non-pressured little thing -- if I am lucky, three decent runs a week. This week there have been no runs for this lady -- still working on recovering from a nasty cough that plagues our whole family. But I did watch a really good PBS documentary that I grabbed at the library as I was chasing my screaming two year old daughter through the DVD area. I highly recommend Marathon Challenge, a Nova special that tracked a group of 13 sedentary people who joined  Nova's team and trained for nine months in order run in the 2007 Boston Marathon.
The show is filled with personal dramas as well as scientific facts about the way bodies respond as they are transformed from couch potatoes into marathon runners.
Here is a link: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/marathon-challenge.html

On the reading subject, anyone got any good books to recommend? On that same mad dash through the library, I grabbed The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. Started it but can't say it commands my attention yet. Any recommendations???? What is they best thing you've read recently?
Have a great weekend! Here is to good health and the end of chorus of coughing in my house! I need to get back up in those North Hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment