Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Entering into the Unknown

I have never blogged. I have hardly even read other blogs. I am, in short, a complete novice! But here I go...... What do I hope to accomplish with this blog? My goal is to keep track of two passions that sustain and nourish me in my busy life as a mother of four kids ages nine and under -- running and reading. These solitary pursuits help me find my center. I have often wished that I kept a journal of the books I've read so I could look back and reflect (or at least have proof). Maybe this blog will serve as a sort of online book club with friends who share these same passions. Not so sure when I will find the time to write posts but today I choose to dive in and go for it. Every journey starts with a single step.

After a long break from running  -- I.T. band problems and two pregnancies  presented challenges -- I am out on the Missoula's trails again. Last year, around the time of my 40th birthday, inspiration came from my husband,who was getting very into trail running and coming home with that runners high, and a friend who was training for the Missoula Marathon. A non-exerciser who claimed to never have worked out to the point of sweat, this friend faced the daunting challenge of running a marathon. I was a former trail runner who had switched over to hikes and bi-weekly strength training sessions at a local gym. I worked out with a few great moms and found muscles I never knew I had, but as I drove home and passed people out running, I longed to join them. That awesome friend gave me a gift certificate for running shoes and suggested the Couch to 5K running program. This gradual program helped me find my stride again. Now, a little over a year later I am happy to report that I have returned to my favorite trails in the North Hills and am choosing to take the longer routes with more hills and different inspiring views.

So that is the running part. Now onto the reading element of the blog. Somehow I squeeze in reading time after the kids go to sleep (or secretly when I should be folding laundry). Whenever I am feeling off kilter it is usually because I haven't been making time to read (or run). Recently I enjoyed Freedom by Johnathan Franzen, Brooklyn by Colm Toibin, Abide With Me by Elizabeth Strout, and Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett. It seems like the overarching theme of all of these books is compassionate look at flawed human beings. More on the books in later posts. Now I need to return to my day (and night) job as mama to many.
What are you reading?
What great runs have you been taking?
What challenges are you facing?

6 comments:

  1. Erin - great idea! I will especially enjoy the running aspect, as running is so new to me. I have my first 10k (running) after 4 years of 5ks (walking and barely making it to the finish). I am 85lbslighter than the day of my first 5k(1hr12min...and I didn't finish last). My only goal on Saturday is to complete the 10k in less than 1hr45min. I am still waiting for the runners high. I have often thought I should blog all the thoughts/emotions that I go through when I run. I am bipolar. Thank you for sharing! And allowing me to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim! Thanks for your comment. I have been inspired by your facebook posts on running. What a great weight loss story! It is awesome that you are challenging yourself with your 10K on Saturday! Who cares what your time is -- you are getting out there and YOU ARE A RUNNER! Running is a great way to process emotions. That can be a good idea for future posts. I think that the runners high part can come when you relax and don't think about anything but your breath moving in and out of your body. It always feels good to get it done in the end. Good Luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it buddy! You inspire me to run, read and be a better me! love you, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!! I am so excited to read more of your blog! I don't read much fiction now, just theology books and I don't run but walking is sanity for me. It is a form of prayer. I'll pass your site on. Welcome to the world of blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin - wonderful title and blog-site. I can't join you in running but yes to the reading part!
    (although there is some great hiking over here in Austria) My staple the last 10 years has been reading in contemplative theology. On this stay in Austria, however, I've gotten back to novels and just finished Cutting For Stone. Before that it was Barbara Brown Taylor's An Altar in The World. Recommend both highly! Cheers to you!(and the family)

    http://thehillsarealive.woessners.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jean. Are those hills alive? My parents were married in Austria and lived in Vienna for a while in the 1950s when my Dad was stationed there in the army. They loved it! Sounds like you are having a great adventure! In light of your interest in reading theology, you should check out my friend Kathryn's blog http://thegatheredlife.blogspot.com/. She is a mom of three who is in divinity school in Chicago. She wrote the previous comment to yours.
    Also, the Elizabeth Strout book I mentioned in my post might be right up your alley. It is about a minister in a small New England town who is widowed and left with two small girls and a deepening sense of personal crisis. It is very interesting and she writes so beautifully. She also wrote "Olive Kitterridge", one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete